The Enchantment Loop 8/13/14 - a walk, run adventure

It's been about three months since my shoulder surgery and I've been feeling a touch cabin-fevery. My energy is through the roof, I'm cranky when I am not outside, and I've found that I pace endlessly behind my work desk - which is where I am held captive for 8 hours a day. Like a zoo animal, I've been looking outside from my enclosure, patiently awaiting the day I can be set free. With two days off in a row, I decided that I would have enough time to drive down to Leavenworth, do the Enchantment Loop, and rest before being back at work and on my feet for long periods of time. I invited a few friends to join me: one had work, two have crazy busy adventure schedules already, and another was hesitant to be outside with me. Alas, I was on my own.

Of course, the adventure always begins long before you step foot on a trail. On Tuesday, I got home from work, had dinner with Jason, and left home at 8pm. This put me on Highway 2 just as lightning and torrential rain began which, when coupled with the darkness of night and a freshly stripped and grooved road, made for very sporty driving conditions. I considered turning around twice climbing towards Stevens Pass, where the water ran like an angry river down the still grooved highway. My thoughts went from, You're going to crash! to It's probably going to rain tomorrow. to Great, you are driving three hours to sleep in your car and maybe get shut down with bad weather. Naturally, I continued on to Leavenworth, turned onto Icicle Creek, and drove to the intersection with Rd 7601.
The next morning my alarm went off at 6am. It was raining so I reset it for 7am. My second alarm sounded and yes, it was still raining and very foggy so I went back to sleep again. My snooze alarm went off. Staring through the window at the cloud filled sky and foggy, wet valleys I convinced myself to wake up and drive towards town. Nothing sounded worse than starting my epic with 4 miles of rainy road running.
Driving back towards Leavenworth I felt regret begin to weigh down on me. Did you really drive here to sleep? I told myself that I'd park at Snow Lake trailhead, run up to the lakes, and run back. Depending on weather that would give me 12-18 miles of running, which I decided was enough to make this drive not a total waste. I changed my clothes in the parking lot, sent out a quick "change of plan text" and shouldered my pack. The sky was threatening heavier rain but not acting on it. My updated text ended with: "If the weather changes for the good, I'm going for it."
The initial climb was constant and unrelenting. Switchback after switchback, the trail quickly gained elevation. The air was wet with humidity and mist as I neared the cloud level. Nearly everything below the clouds appeared in grey scale colors only. Nada Lake came sooner than I expected, with calm water reflecting the grey sky. Some people asked me if I was doing the through hike. I automatically answered yes even though I knew there was a possibility I would turn around. I ran when I wanted and hiked when necessary. What a glorious trail and setting! On the climb between Nada and Snow Lakes I stopped in amazement. There was water gushing out of the hillside. I had heard of this, but didn't realize how large the falls would be in real life. Continuing on, I encountered a group of five hikers. The first four were funny and nice. "You doing the through hike?" Yes. "In a day?" Yep. Then the fifth person, a guy with a condescending smirk chirped up. "You even have a jacket in that bag?" A jacket...? Of all things to ask about. I actually have two jackets. I have 5000 calories of food, mostly raw bars, two liters of water, a first aid kit, headla... He cut me off with, "yeah yeah."
I understand that some hikers think that all runners are retarded, crazy, demented, or all of the above. I also understand that many runners treat hikers like inferiors. For me, if you are out there doing your thing, I respect that and am thrilled for you. If you give me some "you even have a jacket" b.s. while you're trying to not drool on your gore-tex jacket, I'm going to be an ass right back. With that said, I hopped uphill mostly driven by aggression. Happily, he was the only moron of the day.

I made it to the first of the Snow Lakes in 2 hours. A camper asked me how long my run took and quickly responded with, "Go to hell. You f----ng runners make me look bad." He was smiling so I asked what he meant. "It took me 8 hours to get here with my 50 pound pack." I told him that people like him make me look bad. Not only do you plan ahead and get permits, you get sweet ass camp spots for multiple days. Idiots like myself don't plan and have to run it in a day. He agreed.
Before the end of the upper Snow Lake, I met a group of older women. Silverfoxes, most definitely. They commented on how vigorous my day sounded. I told them I hoped to have a girl posse like theirs when I grow up. Seriously. How fun would it be to be 60+ and have a group of girlfriends to hike and camp with?
The slab and granite between Snow Lake and Lake Vivianne was super fun. Hadn't scrambled since before shoulder surgery so this made my day. The waterfall added to the wet day; still, everything was in grey scale. I caught up to a family during the scramble and really enjoyed hearing them help each other. I gave them ample space, not wanting to rush anyone -especially the grandmother!- on exposed rock, but they kindly grouped together and let me pass.
Lake Vivianne was majestic. Clouds hung low above the blue water, the bases of large granite walls were visible on the other shore. A rainy mist began so I put on my shell. Finding a dry way across the outlet of Lake Vivianne was interesting to say the least, I definitely jumped from a rock to a tree and had to downclimb it before stemming across the rest of the drainage. I guarantee there is an easier way. Crossed paths with two others who were, clearly, doing the run in the opposite direction. They didn't seem too personable, and I didn't mind ignoring them while they ignored me all together. I wonder what they made of "jacket dude"

The slabby rock around Lake Vivianne was fun, but I also love slab. I'd read that many people really dislike this part of the hike, but didn't find it so bad. Once above the rebar section, the sun popped out. It was fantastic and finalized my decision to push for the loop. I planned on running the entire lake section from Vivianne to Aasgard Pass, but found that the ever-changing scenery was too good to run through. I ran on occasion, walked a bit, sunned myself on the warm rocks, but overall I mostly frolicked. Ear to ear smile the entire time. No lie...I was skipping at one point. Even still, I made good time and will let the following pictures do the talking for the beauty of the Enchantments.
There were creeks to cross, hikers to greet, and a glorious pocket of sunshine that followed me the entire 5 miles through the lakes. Then, I found myself at Aasgard Pass. 

I have been to Aasgard before and remember the steep descent. It was as steep as I remembered. Couldn't believe people day hike up and down this for fun. Sheesh. It took me a little over an hour to gingerly descend the 2200 vertical feet of loose, ball-bearingesque ground.

At the lower boulder field, all I could remember from my past trip was getting lost and having to jump from one VW bus sized rock to another. This time went much more smoothly, but do take note of quicksand-like glacial silt after rain storms. Scary.

Getting around Colchuck Lake was uneventful. Heard something about a rattlesnake but didn't encounter it. Got to run this stretch until the trail got too technical - rooty - and steep. Met a bunch of small groups in this section: climbers, hikers, fishermen...and they all let me hop on past them.

I arrived at the Colchuck TH just as my sunshine slipped behind a cloud. The sky darkened as lightning lit up the sky and thunder boomed almost instantly. At least it held off this long. I wondered if anyone driving down 7601 would stop and tell me to get in their car, I would have probably said no...until it started torrentially raining.

At this point I was kicking myself for not parking at 7601 and Icicle, but this is how it was going to be and so I strutted along. 7601 is in pretty bad shape, and it may have been some of the most uneven, rocky running of the day

Not too far from my car, the rain increased in drop size and ferocity. It was truly miserable. My smile faded for the first time all day. I believe that the fun ends when 1. You poop your pants 2. You are at serious risk of being struck by lightning 3. You get hypothermia. Lightning and thunder were incredibly close and I was starting to get cold. I snuck under some branches to put on my jacket - yeah, my jacket! - and just as I stepped out, a car approached. I quickly weighed my options: a few more miles of rainy road or a warm car. I threw out my right hand, thumb out proudly, and gave my best hitch hiking "don't you wanna pick my wet ass up" smile. It worked.

Keri, a Peshastin ranger, picked me up. She had been out for a run, too. I thanked her as she dropped me off at my car, feeling very happy and grateful for a perfect day in the Enchantments.

Distance: 23 miles
Elevation gain: 7200 ft or so
Time moving and napping: 8 hours 15 minutes
Mountain goats: 0
Mosquito bites: 2 (no repellant on either)
Water: 5 liters (refilled before Vivianne and Leprechaun. Didn't purify and was fine)
Blisters: 0
Gear:
REI flash pack, Isis Nimble puffy, Patagonia Hoodini, Nike running shorts, TNF running tank, 2 L camelback bladder, small first aid kit, BD headlamp, salt tabs, many Lara Bars, sunscreen, Brooks Cascadia, camera. 

Comments

Popular Posts