Seriously?

I started the day hoping that we would find a place to call home. It had been about a month of calling, meeting, checking out places and we still hadn't locked anything down. One couple strung us along for 3 weeks knowing that they wouldn't rent to us; mean while, we had turned down other spots. It wasn't going quite as planned...and honestly, I had become a touch frustrated and down trodden.  
 
Recently, I've had an issue with people not taking me seriously. Last night, a girl I know said something along the lines of my past experiences adding up to something. "Not really, not in the real world," was my response. I had switched schools in Bellingham because it was made clear to me that even with a 4.0 GPA, no competitive nursing school would accept me without a previous degree. Fair enough, but I also wasn't sitting on my ass, lolly gaggin' around with no direction. No, instead I was being boring. Eating healthy, training like hell...doing everything possible to try to be the best athlete I could be. Do you know the amount of hard work and determination it takes to get into a World Cup or to run an ultra? Probably not, but it is a shit ton more than it takes to write a thesis paper...and I am the same now as I was then. I'm not just a work horse either but a damn smart one. All A's in college (except for a V I got for "vanishing" from psych 200) and a 1480 SAT score from back in the day. Don't even make me rattle off my SAT 2 scores.

A prime example is a real estate woman who decided it was her place to lecture other people how to live. Pat asked her if dogs were allowed in a specific rental. Her response was, "No. I know little dogs are great but you really shouldn't get one until you are more grounded and settled." She's lucky she wasn't talking to me, cause I wouldn't have been friendly enough to just hang up on her. No, my response would have been along the lines of asking what exactly she considered grounded. Cause I own a house that I could go be "grounded" in if I wanted to be alone all winter. Do I go up to the single women with three kids who are in need of help and criticize them for using food stamps? No... My parents raised me to know better, cause it isn't my business... and not my place.

Comments

Popular Posts